Top 10 Middle Grade and Young Adult Books of 2011January 6, 2012 at 3:05 pm | Posted in Favorite Books, Middle Grade books, nonfiction, Teen fiction, Teen nonfiction, Young Adult, Young Adult fiction | 4 Comments
Tags: Francesca Simon, Ian Alexander, Karen Pokras Toz, Kathleen Lane, Marva Dasef, Middle Grade books, Natasha Deen, ONCE WE WERE KINGS, Renee Hand, Sherree Funk, Teen fiction, The Children's and Teens Book Connection, Top 10 Middle Grade and Young Adult Books of 2011, Tween fiction, Vordak, Young Adult fiction
I’ve had such a difficult time picking favorites this year. There are so many books that can make these lists–like I mentioned over at The Book Connection–when I posted my Top 10 for that blog earlier today. I didn’t read as many books in the middle grade and young adult categories as I would have liked to this year, but I’m hoping to focus a bit more on those in 2012. It all depends upon my schedule and the requests I receive.
Sometimes reviewers are lucky when compiling their Top 10, and one book stands out amongst the rest. That is certainly the case for this list. Once We Were Kings by Ian Alexander is my favorite in the MG/YA categories for 2011. It tells the story of an orphan boy and a peasant girl from opposing villages who must work to unite their kingdoms against a powerful enemy that threatens to destroy them. With wonderful, well-drawn characters and a superb plot, Once We Were Kings takes top honors this year.
While not a huge lover of this genre, I feel fortunate to have stumbled upon excellent fantasy titles for young readers over the past couple of years. I look forward to finding more.
Here are other favorites from 2011:
2. Vorak the Incomprehensible: Rule the School by Vordak T. Incomprehensible
3. Horrid Henry Rocks by Francesca Simon
4. Horrid Henry Wakes the Dead by Francesca Simon
5. Bad Spelling by Marv Dasef
6. Peter Rock Star from Galilee: A Guided Bible Study for Teens by Sherree Funk
7. The Crypto-Capers in The Chest of Mystery by Renee Hand
8. Nana Takes the Reins by Kathleen Lane
9. Nate Rocks the World by Karen Pokras Toz
10. True Grime by Natasha Deen
Look for my list for favorite picture books coming soon!